Several families, mainly from Gran Canaria, many of them of Portuguese origin, settled in Santa Catalina and later they built it a temple in 1510. This settlement expanded, reaching the place where the conqueror's soldiers found a native girl next to a fountain, naming it the Fountain of the Guancha (Fuente de la Guancha).
A small temple was built dedicated to the Good Jesus, and later declared a parochial church on the 20 th of June, 1630 , by the bishop Murga, under the name Dulce Nombre de Jesús, becoming independent from the Benefice of San Marcos de Icod.
Once La Guancha became a municipality, the Guildhall was built, named la Alhóndiga, a house that burned down in 1888, losing valuable documents.
This municipality was pretty much isolated until 1931 when the Icod road reached the urban area of the town.